Sunday, March 2, 2008

Hey everybody,

I was just kidding I will update today.
Wednesday night I saw the play “Major Barbara” at the National theater. It was good, a really nice theater and everything. Cool play.

Thursday morning I left my home sweet home in good old jolly England to fly to the wretched hive of scum and villainy: Amsterdam. Star wars reference. The whole getting to the airport by 7 in the morning went great. Got a tea and croissant before the plane and I was off. Security was no problem, got to Amsterdam in 45 minutes, everything was moving like clockwork. Of course I was meeting Kaitlyn at the airport but...meeting was harder than expected. After some tumult we finally met up, got train tickets and were on our way into the city. The first view of the city was so nice, it felt really European seeing the trams and foreign language. Much more European than England feels.
So we walked a short bit and checked into our hostel which had 90 degree angle stairs. It was a lovely establishment. Then we walked around to explore the city. Saw all these town centers, canals and churches. Then we walked through an outdoor shopping place. It was all really beautiful. Bicycles were everywhere. Also a bunch of sleazier sex shops and drug shops. We got a bite to eat at this small sandwich place, pretty tasty. Then we stopped back at the hostel and asked people what was a good pub. They recommended the “old Sailor”, and they were right it was a great place. We walked there, the pub was on the edges of the red light district. It was so surreal to see all the Amsterdam stereotypes of women in the windows and things. We hung out at the bar for a while, brought some rounds and talked about how much everyone back home would be loving Amsterdam. It was so much fun, really a great time.
The next morning we awoke, all feeling pretty disgusting from not having showers and being in the same clothes, but I think that is part of the hostel experience. We got a little breakfast (hard boiled eggs, tea, and ham and cheese cold cuts with white bread) and headed out walking to the Van Gogh museum. Along the way we saw some really cool stuff, lots of pretty walkways along canals, the Heineken Brewery, lots of awesome buildings. We got to the area and it was right by this huge park called Vondel park. They had a giant I Amsterdam sign. It was a really gorgeous place. The Van Gogh museum did not disappoint and I got another new appreciation for him. We then walked back towards the center of town. Got some hotdogs from the numerous hotdog stands around Amsterdam. Stopped at a coffeehouse, grabbed some burger king, it was really nice. I got my last glimpses of the city and ended back to the train and airport. All in all, an amazing time.
I bummed around the airport terminal for a bit, brought some souvenirs and got on my plane. Weather delayed things for an hour a take off and another hour in the air before we could land. Lots of turbulence, flying in winds up to 100 mph, pretty exciting but surprisingly not frightening. We landed safe and sound, I took a bus back home and got a Kait’s fantastic stop-film in the mail. Watch it, was throughly impressed, and went to sleep. Six hours later I was up to go to Stonehenge and Bath. The thrilling topic of my next entry.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the good tidings,
Roy

No comments: