Thursday, February 7, 2008

I took some pictures of the rest of my house:





























As you can see here my house is one of utmost comfortable and relaxation. The first photograph is of the main foyer. The stairwell leads upwards to my bedroom, which is the room in the house which houses my bed. The photograph that appears beside the aforementioned photograph would most certainly be my kitchen, the room in which I prepare the various edibles in which i enjoy. As you can see my landlady, Mary, does like to collect plates, particularly white and green ones. Zippity Zoop!

As for new news I am afraid to say that I have a total tally of zero for today. Classes have been going swimmingly and my spirits have been high. This upcoming Saturday, my class will be heading to Oxford, as I have mentioned in previous blog entries. I'm sure I will have more exciting tales of my escapades then.

Also, this Sunday I'll be ending into London again, most likely on my own. I have planned out a tantalizing tour of famous author's houses as well as a few stops at some museums. It promises to be a real joyride for my thinking-cap.

Recently, I have been writing and eating the always delicious subway sub-of-the-day. Alas, today's sub is the Italian BMT which is just not for me. Fear not, I have frozen chicken wings, a green apple and a bag of potato chips at home! The dinner of kings.

Also in recent news, I was at a pub last night and in an attempt to weave my way into British culture I asked a strapping young lad who had one the most recent football match, England or Switzerland. He said England had won 2-1 and asked who I had been rooting for. With some split second decision making I said England, he happily agreed, and I said I was from the United States of America. He was excited and asked me some questions and I asked him some questions. His first was "aren't you not allowed to drink in America?". I told him it was true.

I then remembered an email from Aunt Janet where she asked what the British thought of American politics. I didn't know then, but I asked. Everyone pretty much hates George Bush through and through but they don't necessarily extend that hate to the republican party. So I don't think they have a clear opinion on John McCain yet. As for the better party, the democrats, they also didn't seem to have a clear opinion. They would be fine with the women president because they have already had a female prime minister. They also said that while they themselves would have no problem with a black president they don't know how the country as a whole would respond because they thought there was still some deep set racism. All and all the response wasn't that surprising but it was exhilarating to talk to real British people.

As I sure you noticed I have been trying to write everything in a weirder way, this is because I heard that the Egan's like to read my entries aloud. Peter piper picked a patch of pickled peppers. Toy boat toy boat toy boat toy boat. I hope they enjoyed reading allow this entry as well.

In conclusion I would like to end with these concluding end remarks, a few things that are different in England that you may not have suspected:
-If something is 4.49 it really costs 4.49. There is no sales tax.
-If you cross a street when the cross walk sign is not green and you get hit it is totally your fault. The pedestrian does not have the right of way here.
-English muffins are really just called muffins here.
-The British say that Budweiser is a watered down beer that doesn't taste good. I agree. The main beers you see everywhere here are: Stella Artois, Strongbow, Carling, Guinness and Foster's. Surprisingly though, at the King's Tun bar the cheapest pint you can get is Coors Light.
-Milk is cheap but goes bad quick.
-Lots of houses don't have doorknobs on the front doors, only keyholes. Mine is like this too.
-The English wanted the Giants to beat the Patriots.
-It costs 3000 pounds to go to any university anywhere in England. That price is set by the government.

I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but I'll put them in later blogs if I do.

Take a look at an average lunch for me:

2 comments:

The Verspoors said...

Hey Roy,
The quick facts about London were very interesting. Wow, 3,000 for a college education, what a deal! Also, that sandwich looks pretty appetizing.
Love Mom

Janet said...

Hi Roy,
Megan and I enjoyed your blog -Funny, yet intresting stuff. Nice pics. Enjoy your stay -before you know it you'll be heading back. Keep snapping. Be good. Be happy,
Aunt Janet