Saturday, January 26, 2008

i'm pretty tired and i have my first trip into london tomorrow morning, so i won't write too much here. today i went to Brighton, a popular beachside town. it was really beautiful and had a lot of history. i've got a few choice pictures below. take a look, i'll post again with some real london sights soon!


This the Royal Pavilion at Brighton. It was a vacation palace used by King George IV. Faux-Indian architecture, very pretty.






This is the Brighton Pier. Out towards the end of it I got my first serving of 'fish n' chips', probably the most british thing i've done so far. Across the water (I don't think you can see it here) I could see the coast of France. During WWII, people in Brighton could hear the guns firing from across the English Channel.



Along the beach (which was all rocks, no sand) were these piles of lumber. Apparently a cargo ship sank off shore and all its contents are washing up on the beach. Pretty cool. In the background you can see the burned down old pier.

No comments: